Make this family-ready meal, packed with Grilled & Ready® chicken and a variety of Mexican essentials–including a sprinkling of exotic spices. Recipe provided by “We Like to Cook” – Grilled & Ready® product recipe contest finalist.
Chicken Enchiladas Verde
- Total Fat25 g
- Cholesterol115 mg
- Sodium1260 mg
- Total Carbohydrate43 g
- Protein49 g
- Information for this recipe is approximate and derived by calculations based upon supplier information and available reference data. These values may change based on your final product, substitution and or addition of ingredients, or use of a particular cooking technique.
12 whole tomatillos
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup chicken broth
1 salt, to taste
2 jalapeno peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup parsley
10 corn tortillas, 6"
1 cup white beans, cooked, optional
2 cup Mexican cheese blend, grated
1 lettuce, shredded, optional
1 sour cream, optional
1 guacamole, optional
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos, rinse well and chop coarsely.
- In a saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add tomatillos, cumin, broth and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly (or longer if making ahead).
- Place chili peppers directly over the flame on a gas stove and cook, turning with tongs, until the skin is charred and blackened. (Or, if you have an electric stove, put the chilies on a baking sheet and broil, turning with tongs, until the skin is blackened.) Skin, seed and core the roasted chili peppers.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place tomatillo sauté, roasted chili peppers, lime juice, cilantro and parsley in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour the salsa verde into a shallow bowl or baking dish. Dip each tortilla in the salsa to soften it. Lay dipped tortilla flat in an ungreased 9” X 13” baking dish and fill each with about a tablespoon of white beans, a tablespoon of cheese, and several slices of Grilled & Ready Fully-Cooked Chicken Breast Strips down the center. Fold the tortilla in thirds over the filling and place seam-side-down in the dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde over the top. Cover the top of the enchiladas with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, until heated through.
- Remove foil and cook for a few more minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbly. Serve enchiladas on a plate topped with shredded lettuce, sour cream and/or guacamole.