This pizza-like tart features Crispy Chicken Strips along with a creamy blend of onions, spinach, and creamy Gruyere cheese sauce. It’s a party-pleaser if there ever was one.
Crispy Chicken and Cheesy Spinach Tart
- Total Fat37 g
- Cholesterol70 mg
- Sodium1240 mg
- Total Carbohydrate53 g
- Protein30 g
- Information for this recipe is approximate and derived by calculations based upon supplier information and available reference data. These values may change based on your final product, substitution and or addition of ingredients, or use of a particular cooking technique.
2-1/2 pounds Crispy Chicken Strips
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 sweet onion, diced
11 ounces fresh spinach
14 ounces pie crust, 2 crusts
1/4 cup Asiago cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Prepare Crispy Chicken Strips according to package directions. Set aside, but keep oven on. Slice Crispy Chicken Strips when cooled.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat and sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add flour and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and cream and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes whisking continuously. Remove from heat and add Gruyere cheese, salt and pepper and stir until cheese melts. Set aside.
- While cheese sauce is being prepared, heat remaining butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring often until onions are tender. Add spinach, cover and heat for 5 minutes stirring often until spinach has wilted. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- To assemble, lay out pie crusts on parchment lined baking sheets. Spread 1/2 of cheese sauce in the middle of the crusts leaving 1 1/2 inches around the edge without any cheese sauce. On top of sauced pie crusts, evenly divide the wilted spinach, caramelized onions, Crispy Chicken Strips, Asiago cheese and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Fold outside edges up and in over filling, center will remain without pie crust covering. Crimp with your fingers as you move around so that pie crust holds the filling. Brush egg wash over the edges of the crust and bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.