In this TexMex twist on lasagna, shredded chicken is layered with sautéed onions, chopped cilantro, pepper jack cheese, a creamy green chili sauce. After the dish is baked, it’s finished with a fresh corn and black bean salsa.
Green Chili Chicken Casserole
- Total Fat55 g
- Cholesterol180 mg
- Sodium1580 mg
- Total Carbohydrate70 g
- Protein44 g
- Information for this recipe is approximate and derived by calculations based upon supplier information and available reference data. These values may change based on your final product, substitution and or addition of ingredients, or use of a particular cooking technique.
15 ounces (3 pieces) Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons chicken stock
Salt, to taste
Cracked black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup diced yellow onion
3 chipotle peppers in adobo, seeded and chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
3 medium flour tortillas
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese
1 container (8-16 ounces) prepared corn and black bean salsa
GREEN CHILI SAUCE:
4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup (8 ounces) light sour cream
1 cup half and half
1 - 4 ounces can chopped green chilies
Salt, to taste
- Preheat an oven to 375°F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chicken stock in a medium sauté pan. Place the frozen chicken in the pan and season it with salt and pepper. Cover and cook the chicken over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through. When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, remove it from the pan and set it aside in a large bowl. Once it has cooled, use 2 forks to shred the chicken into small pieces.
- In the same pan used to cook the chicken, add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and onions. Sauté the onions over medium heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the onions to the shredded chicken. Add the chipotle peppers, cumin, and half of the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- In the same sauté pan used to cook the chicken and onions, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and green chilies. Whisk constantly over medium heat until the sauce begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt if needed.
- Build the casserole in the baking dish by placing enough sauce to thinly coat the bottom of the dish. Line the dish with a tortilla, then top with half of the chicken, 1/2 cup of tortilla chips, a layer of sauce, then 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Repeat with one more layer. Finally, top with the last tortilla and remaining sauce, tortilla chips, and cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve topped with the corn and black bean salsa and remaining chopped cilantro. Chef Tip: To add a little extra crunch after baking, broil the dish until the top is slightly browned and the edges of the top tortilla are crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Then top with the salsa and cilantro.