Shawarma Chicken Pita
- Total Fat4 g
- Cholesterol40 mg
- Sodium450 mg
- Total Carbohydrate19 g
- Protein14 g
- Information for this recipe is approximate and derived by calculations based upon supplier information and available reference data. These values may change based on your final product, substitution and or addition of ingredients, or use of a particular cooking technique.
1 cup Fully Cooked Frozen Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, thawed, chopped
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pinch black pepper, coarse ground
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
3 tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
1 pinch kosher salt
1-1/2 cup Romaine lettuce leaves, sliced into ribbons
4 tablespoon tomatoes, chopped small
2 pita breads, cut in half
- Place the chicken strips, olive oil, 1 tsp. lemon juice, curry, cumin, garlic, black pepper, and paprika in a large storage bag. Shake bag to evenly combine and coat all ingredients. Refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- In a separate storage bag make yogurt sauce by placing yogurt, 3 tsp. lemon juice, feta cheese, and salt. Shake and squeeze bag to evenly combine all ingredients. This step can be prepared as you are assembling, or you can make ahead of time and place in the refrigerator overnight with the marinating chicken.
- Before serving, add lettuce to the yogurt sauce bag and mix to evenly coat lettuce with the other ingredients, making a creamy romaine salad. Set aside.
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken strips and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Warm the pita bread in the microwave for 10-12 seconds to help make them more pliable.
- Cut each pita round in half and open up pocket. Divide the creamy romaine salad into 4 portions and place a portion inside of each pita pocket. Top each with an even portion of the hot chicken, and finally a tablespoon of chopped tomatoes.