Sweet with a touch of heat, this is the perfect dish for impressing guests. The bold flavor combination of smokey meat, fresh berries, and blue cheese are unforgettable.
Grilled Strawberry Cornish Hen
- Total Fat4 g
- Cholesterol5 mg
- Sodium65 mg
- Total Carbohydrate6 g
- Protein1 g
- Information for this recipe is approximate and derived by calculations based upon supplier information and available reference data. These values may change based on your final product, substitution and or addition of ingredients, or use of a particular cooking technique.
1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
6 ounce crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 cup quartered strawberries
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoon prepared sweet pepper relish
2 tablespoon sugar-free strawberry jam
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
3 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat outdoor grill to a medium-low heat.
- Cut the hens down the backbone, and spread flat on cutting board. Season with salt and pepper and place hens on grill, skin-side down. Cover and grill 25 minutes. Turn hens several times using tongs; cover and grill 25 minutes longer or until done (internal temp 180°F).
- While the hens are cooking, combine the strawberries, sugar and water in a food processor and pulse until well blended. Strain the puree through fine mesh strainer into a sauce pot with lime juice and sweet pepper relish. Stirring often, heat over medium low for 10-15 minutes or until reduced by half. Whisk in the strawberry jam until well incorporated. Brush the sauce on the hens during the last 25 minutes of cooking until it is all gone.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes. Pour the onion and garlic into a blender with blue cheese and vinegar. Blend well and slowly add remaining oil until sauce begins to thicken. Serve with hens as a dipping sauce.